The Law Office of Patricia T. Bisesto, Esq.
Schedule A Consultation

How do you prove abuse is taking place?

You love your children, but you do not love the way your ex-spouse treats them. You've long suspected that some abuse is taking place behind closed doors, but you see your children only a few times a month. As a result, even if they were harmed, it would be hard for you to know without them telling you directly.

You want to go back to court to seek primary custody because your ex-spouse has been talking about moving away with your children. That's not something you want to see happen, especially because you're worried about their safety.

What can you do?

Your only real option is to prove that abuse is taking place if you'd like to seek full custody. There are a few ways to do this. One of the primary options is to have your child report the abuse, which would help you seek help from the authorities to start an investigation. The problem with this is that many children don't know that they're being abused. Physical abuse is usually more obvious, but other types may not be as clear.

Another option is to keep any information the other parent displays regarding injuries to your child or their actions toward you. For instance, a parent who threatens to keep your children from you or threatens to make them hate you may send you these messages in emails or on your phone. Having this kind of evidence will help prove your case and help you seek more regular custody, if not the full custody you desire.

Your attorney can help you protect your children. Don't be scared to reach out for help.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information